Monday, March 10, 2008

shrimps when you have nothing but shrimps


Ok- disclaimer - this is meant for kitchens in US coz I know even when the kitchen is empty - we have onion and frozen grated coconut in stock. And if you don't then you cook less frequently than once in 3 months. So those are my ingredients:
1) Onion
2) grated coconut
3) shrimp

Actually to begin with I only had 1 and 3. But then I remembered that coconut might blend in well and then I remembered taht G3 had fed this to me so I became more confidant.
So here is the recipe:
1) finely - really finely - chop onions. No shortcuts here
2) Heat oil, add cumin seeds, 1/2 cloves, green chillies (if you have them) etc
3) Add the onion and fry till they are golden brown - that stage comes after they turn pink :).
You can add your garam masala, haldi, mirchi, dhania powder at this stage
4) Add the shrimps
5) As an after thought I added good amount of coconut
6) Then I cooked it on and on til lthe shrimps were done
7) I garnished it with some fresh coriander leaves (I know i know - the title of this post is misleading ;) )

It tastes fairly good with the rotis.

No comments: