Saturday, January 29, 2011

Coconut stew

I had eaten Appam and coconut stew at MCA and became a big fan of it. I thought of trying it at home but was too lazy to cut vegetables.
But the grocery store in front of my house started stocking precut vegetables. Boon for lazy souls like me! So I thought I could give coconut stew a try and it came out really well.

Ingredients
1) Either the precut veggie pack that contains - carrots benas and cauliflower.
OR
1a) Take carrots- dice it in small pieces
1b) Take beans - cut it in small pieces - this could be painful - i always hate cutting beans
1c) Take cauliflower - cut in small pieces - or one can use potatoes but cauliflower does add certain dimension
2) Green Peas
3) Coconut milk
4) Laung or cloves 5-6
5) Cinnamon stick 1-2

P.S: One of my tamilian friend's mom told me that the goal of such dishes is to have 5 different colored veggies so feel free for any combination one desires.

Method is super simple:
1) Boil all veggies with salt and cloves and cinnamon stick.
2) Once they are boiled - in another pan add a cup full of coconut milk and dilute it with water. Put the veggies and boil eveything together for some more time.

One might want to add a few cloves in step 2 to get the right taste.

No comments: