Sunday, December 2, 2007

palak paneer




Ah - one of my favourites. The version I make is the simplest and tastiest as it is enriched with flavor of palak and garlic. Mary taught me this. An accidental improvization (becuase i forgot to turn off the gas) was that it should be really thick to taste the best. And I think this dish is super healthy.
Ingredients:
1) jeera
2) Green chillies
3) Garlic
4) 1 tomato (optional)
5) spinach
6) Paneer
(isnt this short list cool)

Procedure:
1) Take the chopped palak and heat it in water with 2 garlic pieces and 2 green chillies. the water should be less and after boiling it should be very very minimal to get a good consistency. I dont like the idea of draining out hte water as it drains out useful nutrients too so I try to be conservative with it to begin with. Let it cool
2) Meanwhile - cut paneer into cubes. boil it in a water that has a little haldi in it till it is soft. You cna eat a few pieces I eat a lot of them :)
2) In a mixie add jeera and the above thing. Grid till it is a smooth paste.
3) In a pan heat oil. Add 5-6 garlic pieces - all finely chopped so that we have rich garlic aaroma and flavor :). Add some green chillies too ( I avoild red chilli all together and suppliment it with green chillies only).
4) All a finely chopped tomato and let it melt (optional step - tomato adds a little tanginess hence I like it - mary's original recipe does not have tomatoes)
5) Add the palak paste to it. Yo ucan add a little haldi and a little dhania powder to it too.
6) Add al lthe paneer cubes except 4.
7) Cook till there is a boil.
8) Crumble the 2-3 paneer wit your hand and put it on the top. you an pop one of them in your mouth (it is very tasty :)).

That's it - serve with rotis. This is one of my safe recipes. Always appreciated and it is difficult to go wrong with it as it is so simple :).

No comments: