Sunday, July 8, 2007

aloo methi




Yup this is my favourite :)). In India the biggest pain for my mom was getting the methi leaves and cutting it leaf by leaf. For me thanks to Deep we have frozen packs of methi leaves.


It's the simplest and you can try out the alternatives too.


Ingredients - Potatoes, methi leaves, kasoori methi pack (optional), red/green chillies, a couple of cloves. Some babylos cheese (this I accidentally bought instead of yoghurt but it gave me a great creamy flavor. You can drop this ingredient totally or choose yoghurt (didnt try this) instead.


1) Peel potatoes. Cut them. Cut some onions too.


2) heat oil in pan (some people use butter but i would avoid). Add some cumin seed, 2 cloves, may be cinnamon(I don't know where my mom has displaced that so I did not put it)


3) Add onions and fry.


4) Add potatoes. Cook them well. (Tip - you can boil the potatoes in your microwave in advance and that would work well too).


5) Once potatoes are cooked - add methi leaves and let them cook (if you are using frozen methi leaves it is a good idea to let them defreeze beofe putting it in).


6) Add cheese (optionally can add some milk - it takes away the bitterness of methi )

(my mom skips point 6)


7) Now patience baby patience - cook till methi is soft and tender


Serve hot with roti.
Alternative - you can add good amount of yoghurt + milk and some peas and leave it watery to make it methi malai mutter :)




1 comment:

YASH K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.