Sunday, July 8, 2007

Eggplant with yoghurt


Yup that was my first try a few weeks ago- I took a snap of what I cooked so that I can email it to my mom but well the photgraph had higher purpose in life.


This dish is originally from Orissa. You require the follwing:

Eggplant (Brinjal) - obviously and yoghust (obviously again).

Apart from that you need to have usual stuff like haldi, red chilli powder, jeera, garam masala etc and red/green chillies, coriander (optional), onion, tomatoes.

1) Cut brinjals veritcally (I prefer small brinjals from indian stores). Apply haldi and little salt on them and fry them in the oil till they are cooked.

2) In a heating pan, all all your jeera etc and fry cut onions till they are translucent. Add tomatoes (1 or 2 is enough) too and cook till the tomatoes melt to form puree.

3) In a separate vessel put yoghurt + little water and add your brinjals.

4) Put point 3 stuff in point 2. Cook for a few mins and tunoff your gas.

All this looks a littlebit like the photo below. Since it was monday night I didnt cut half of my brinjals so the photo is not the best representatative of how the recipe would look. But nonetheless...

Alternatives: My mom uses coconut onion, gingler garlic paste instead sometimes and that tastes awesome too. I wil ltry that out soon.


4 comments:

zz said...

you can take more aesthetic pictures.

Dami said...

I agree with Asim... better pictures will increase the appetite :)

arati kadav said...

oh too much - my og already has visitors - I am total khush :)

shweta said...

great cooking lessons "My miss Sanjiv Kapoor" plz make aloo some time